American Airlines offers a range of policies regarding flight changes, cancellations, and refunds. Understanding these policies can help you make informed decisions when booking and managing your flights.
Flight Change Policy
American Airlines allows passengers to make same-day flight changes on domestic flights for a $75 fee. The alternate flight must have the same origin and destination, and the change can only be confirmed within 24 hours of the desired flight’s departure. You can make the change on the American Airlines website, at the airport (self-service kiosk or ticket counter), or by calling Reservations.
Cancellation and Refund Policies
American Airlines offers a 24-hour refund policy for all tickets purchased at least two days before departure. If you need to cancel your flight within this time frame, you can request a full refund online or by contacting Reservations.
For refundable tickets, you can request a refund online or by contacting Reservations. American Airlines will process your refund back to the original credit card within 7 days (it should appear on your statement in 1-2 billing cycles) . For cash and check purchases, the refund will be processed within 20 days after receiving a complete refund request.
Non-refundable tickets generally cannot be refunded. However, exceptions may be made in cases such as a death in the family or health issues, in which case the airline may change or cancel the flight at no cost. In the event of death or critical illness of an immediate family member or travel companion, American Airlines will waive change fees or provide a refund to the original form of payment.
Cancellation Policies for Specific Fare Types
- Basic Economy: No changes are allowed after ticketing, except for cancellations within 24 hours of purchase, flight schedule changes by American Airlines of 61 minutes or more, or in cases of death or critical illness of an immediate family member or travel companion.
- Main Cabin: American Airlines’ Main Cabin fares offer more flexibility than Basic Economy fares, including the ability to change flights for a fee.
- Award Tickets: If you cancel your award flight on the American Airlines website before the first flight, you can request a refund of your miles.
- Death in the Family: American Airlines may waive change fees or provide a refund to the original form of payment in the event of death or critical illness of an immediate family member or travel companion.
- Weather: American Airlines may offer flexible options for passengers affected by severe weather, including the ability to change flights without fees.
- Schedule Changes: If American Airlines changes your flight schedule, you may be eligible for a refund or the ability to change your flight without fees.
In conclusion, American Airlines offers various policies for flight changes, cancellations, and refunds depending on the fare type and specific circumstances. It is essential to understand these policies when booking and managing your flights to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience.
Table of Contents